Frances Clark and Louise Goss developed a series of observation forms in the 1980’s, and these forms are as relevant today as they were then. This final observation form is a variant of observation form #1.
Questions asked, mostly “YES/NO”
- Did the lesson begin and end on time?
- Number of pieces played: Number of pieces played without stopping:
- Did the teacher establish a framework in the introduction of a new piece?
- Were rhythm steps done musically and with freedom of movement?
- Were count-offs rhythmic and 2 mm. in length?
- Did students mark the score and assignment sheet?
- Did teacher go over entire assignment at the end?
- Did student leave lesson enthusiastic?
- Is the assignment sheet organized and understandable?
- Did the student have a truly musical experience during the lesson?
- Were photocopies used in any way during the lesson?
Observation Guides 1 – 3: